Monday, May 15, 2017

Why Everyone Should Donate Blood by Billy Stoddard

On Friday, I participated in the blood drive at SHS with many other people. I had a needle in my arm for close to forty minutes, gave two and a half pints of my red blood cells, almost passed out, and felt sick for two days. Walking into the gym before I donated, I hadn't expected any of this. After participating in the drive and knowing full well it's affects, I would still do it again in a heartbeat. Here's why. 

In Somalia this past week, an American Navy SEAL was killed in action while fighting terrorism. Chief Petty Officer Kyle Milliken sacrificed his life to help keep America safe. Two of his teammates were also wounded in the fierce gunfight that took place. One of them required a full blood transfusion to keep him alive. 

Today, a charter bus carrying school children on their way to Washington DC on a field trip flipped over and crashed. Many children were injured, some critically. Two were taken to the hospital by Medevac helicopters. As these children lay in hospital beds, it is likely they are receiving blood transfusions.

Every 57 seconds, someone in the United States is diagnosed with cancer. One in four American deaths are caused by cancer. Many of these patients will go on to require blood transfusions to survive the deadly disease. 1500 people each day are diagnosed with cancer. That's 1500 new Americans who will need blood in the near future. 

At basketball practice today, I was a little winded. This weekend, I was a little lightheaded. On Friday, I felt a little sick. However, I wasn't hit by a terrorist bullet in Somalia. I wasn't in a bus that flipped over and critically injured me. I wasn't diagnosed with cancer today. All these people and examples mentioned are a fraction of those who need blood. Chances are, they need it more than you. So make the small sacrifice and help somebody out. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for donating blood! I'm sorry you felt sick all weekend, but you bring up a good point here. We can "suffer" for a weekend to save lives. ~Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete