Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Meeting Sarah J. Maas | By: Kristine Le

my signed book
Two weekends ago, my best friend and I traveled five hours to Rochester, New York to attend Teen Book Fest. At the festival, I got to meet one of my all time favorite authors, Sarah J Maas. Looking back on it now, the moment felt so surreal. Ever since I was in eighth grade and I first met my best friend, we have been talking about one day meeting her and now it was finally happening. At the opening panel, all the authors attending the festival were introduced and I just sat there staring at Sarah not believing what my eyes were showing me. In the back of my mind I was thinking, “Oh my god, this is real. This is actually happening. It’s Sarah J Maas sitting in that chair.” Being the fangirl that I am, I had watched all of her interviews I could find on YouTube but, none of that helped to kept my excitement levels at bay. During the first fan session we attended that day, it was a simple Q&A with Sarah as well as another author ReneĆ© Ahdieh (also an author that I really love). As a I sat there listening to them answer the questions, I found that I knew most of the answers myself but hearing Sarah talk and to witness her down to earth and very real personality was so special to me. Later on during the day there was a sessions set aside specifically for book signings. I had been preparing myself for this moment for the past week and had pre-packed a backpack filled with three of my favorite books by Sarah. After waiting for a total of three hours, it was finally my turn to get my book signed. I walked up to the table and handed her my book with the dumbest smile on my face. I had no idea what to say to her so I simply asked her how her day was as she began to sign my book. In my head, I was thinking, “Really? That’s all you’re going to say?” but I could not find it in me to try and start a conversation. She was so sweet and kept up the conversation for me. The signings had to be quick and brief, so I was only able to get a single book signed and could not get a picture. When the signing was done, I left the room feeling so accomplished and something checked off my bucket list.


Side Story: I wanted to include this in my blogpost but couldn’t find a way to squeeze it in so enjoy a little something extra.

As my friend and I were making our way to our first fan session for the day we were stopped by a stranger and asked to take a selfie with them. Not knowing what to do, my friend and I simply posed for the picture and after, the strange says to us,” You have no idea who I am do you?” to what my friend openly responds with, “ Nope, but have a nice day.” That “so-called” stranger turned out to be a guest author for the festival… oops.


1 comment: