Thursday, March 30, 2017

Phone Calls by Amanda Sangalli

The phone is warm against my face, and your static laughter is crackling through the phone. Our lives have merged again through wire signals like tendons through the heart. I smile and tell you that I have taken hold of a new hand, and I am happy. But my heart is still jumping skittish over the space you left inside of me...
Fo r a moment nothing has changed and we're lying next to each other and hope is soft and i'm falling into us again like my old comforter. Time rolls up the conversation like an antique rug and we must say goodbye again. And the chasm cracks farther open, filling my lungs with an ache that means, "Come back please. Let's start from the beginning."
"I miss you"
"I miss you too"
An almost phrase constricts my throat and suddenly i'm choking on my own laughter. I almost heard you say it. I sigh into the dead receiver.
"I love you... I still love you."

1 comment: