Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Horse Showing- Josie Embleton

    I apply pressure to my horse's sides and cue him to move forward into a steady, powerful canter. The first fence is on the outside track on the left side of the ring, I look hard at it with my eyes and guide my horse's nose towards the jump. His body turns and as we approach the fence I begin to count the steady strides, one, two, three, four, now. His feet leave the ground, I tighten my body and steer my horse to the outside. The next fence is next to the one that we just jumped, we make a half circle and approach it. I count again, one, two, three, four, now. My horse soars over the jump, I look hard to the inside of the ring and my horse feels my body shift in that direction and lands on the correct lead. We continue to the third jump, this one is an in and out line. There's only one stride in between the third and fourth jump which means it's crucial that we have the correct pace. My horse starts to get excited and speeds up toward the third jump, I tighten my hands and apply pressure to the bit in my horse's mouth, signaling him to slow down and steady up. He listens to my cues and relaxes his pace. We launch for the first jump, land, take one stride, which fit in perfectly, and jump the second jump in the in and out. That was the final jump in the course and canter a graceful circle near the in gate. As we leave the ring, I release my reins and pat my horse, rewarding him for his effort on course.

2 comments:

  1. This must be a bit of a magical experience! ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this autobiographical at all, Josie? Horses are such powerful, magnificent animals. --Mr. Johnson

    ReplyDelete