Thursday, March 23, 2017

A Poem by Lomaani Ranasinghe

I'm not a huge fan of writing poetry, but when it was my turn to write a blog post I decided to stray away from my comfort zone and write a poem. This morning, the band and orchestra left for the yearly Disney trip. While they were gone, it made me reflect on music and how large a role it plays in my daily life. So, while 99.9% of my friends are in Disney marching on main street, enjoy this poem I wrote about my love for music.


He holds no face, yet is most beautiful
He holds no heart, yet causes ours to pound
Amidst black keys, never more colorful
Through times of bliss, sorrow, or ire- he’s sound



The strum of a guitar on a dull day
Leaves youth dancing forever through the night
Banging of keys, keeping troubles away
Like tradition, enjoyed by candlelight

His cries fill the otherwise lifeless space
When I am crushed, he is what completes me
In times of need, he is my hiding place


Without him I’m lost, can you hear my plea?

For he’s not existing, but lives at heart
And through our lifetime we could never part

1 comment:

  1. This definitely conveyed your love of music. Interesting that you used a male pronoun to describe it. ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete