Wednesday, February 1, 2017

My Experience at the Women's March on Trenton by Sylvia Kloian


Exactly 10 days ago, on January 21st, 2017, I attended the Women's March on Trenton, held in our state's capitol. Now let me get a few things straight: the March was not a protest, it was not violent, and it was in no way destructive. In fact, no arrests were made at any of the marches. On the Women's March website, you can find their mission statement, which basically says that we march to fight discrimination against someone due to their gender, race, sexual orientation, citizenship, or physical ability. It also references climate change and a women's right to control her own body. These all happened to be issues that I find extremely important, and all issues that Donald Trump is challenging. So that is why, on the first day of his presidency, over 6,000 men, women, and children took to the streets in Trenton in solidarity against racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and more. In Washington D.C. there were about 450,000-500,000 people in attendance, and even more in L.A. (750,000!). Before and after the Trenton March, there were over 20 wonderful speakers. Some of the most memorable were Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman, the march's organizer Elizabeth Meyer, and Ruth Savage-Jennings (who has been an activist since she was 14 and was a friend of Martin Luther King Jr.). There were so many others, including LGBT, Muslim, Jewish, and Christian persons. There were also several high school students who spoke. This had to be the most inspiring part of the entire experience. There were 2,900 seats inside, but the rest of us were stuck listening in on the speeches from speakers outside on the stairs of the War Memorial. Everyone was huddled together, holding a multitude of signs, and cheering along together at each speech. I cried listening to all these strong women talk about their accomplishments and about overcoming prejudice and sexism. Finally, I, too, was part of discussions that are rarely had in school or even at home. It's so exhausting to have to sit around while all around you people are trying to tell you what you can and can't wear, what you can and can't talk about, and what you can and can't do with your body. Especially in this election, I've had to pick and choose my battles, and held my tongue sometimes when I've heard someone say something that I think is wrong. And, frankly, I'm tired of holding my tongue. The truth is, most others don't have to. I've noticed that when a man talks about politics, people just say they're sharing they're opinions, but when a woman talks about politics, people say that they're "triggered" (a word that is now often used by many my age to dismiss people expressing actual concern) or being a "bitch". And you may have a different opinion than this, but this is something that I have personally witnessed and experienced. So, because of this, marching was such a healthy way to surround myself with people who respect me and my opinions, and to finally cease "staying quiet". The power of knowing that I was marching with dozens of other sister marches in the U.S. and on every other continent (including Antarctica) was amazing and life changing. I am so, so, so, grateful that I got to be a part of this; one person in a sea of millions who made history by marching for what they believe in.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like it was a great experience for you. I'm glad you made the choice to stand up for your beliefs and make your voice heard. --Mr. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been a great experience , being a part of history. keep using your voice

    ReplyDelete