Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Book Review by Nuriel Rozenberg

At the moment, I am reading a psychological thriller titled, "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" by Iain Reid. A girl with an unknown name is thinking of ending things with her boyfriend, Jake since she believes that the expiration date on their relationship has passed. To her, Jake is practically perfect. He is very smart working in a lab and randomly spitting facts. She explains that he is tall and kind, but otherwise, the reader is given a little amount of detail. She holds off on ending things with him and travels with Jake to meet his parent's. The time spent at Jake's house is unsettling especially since the reader does not know why they begin to feel creeped out. The couple finally decides to go home and the girl is relieved that they are leaving the discomforting atmosphere. Throughout dinner, Jake beings to appear odd and just off from his usual self. On the way home, they are caught in a snowstorm and Jake decides that he is in the mood for some Dairy Queen. Eventually, Jake takes the girl to an old, deserted high school. During the novel, the girl continually receives phone calls from her own number which only adds to the constant tension and paranoia a reader will possibly feel.

I am usually not much of a reader, but I definitely enjoyed reading this book. While reading, I was in perpetual fear since anything could happen at any moment. Reid started the book with an amount of innocence and calmness escalating to full-blown creepy fairly quickly. Reading this book feels casual until the atmosphere sporadically changes leaving the reader similar to viewing a horror film. I advise readers to not read this book at night unless you don't want to sleep. This book gives off a frightening feeling that is hard to immediately shake off.


http://areadersdiary1.blogspot.com/2016/08/im-thinking-of-ending-things.html

2 comments:

  1. This was definitely one of the creepiest books I've ever read. (Kind of like Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon..."nothing" happens but you're scared to death the whole time.) But I tend to agree more with the writer of the linked blog; I don't think the ending wrapped up the story well enough. The fear factor was high on this one, but not the credibility factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you read this book! This book made me feel nervous and I had to read it when I was with someone else! Isn't it amazing how words can affect a reader? ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete