Monday, January 9, 2017

New Year's Resolutions | by Samantha Patino

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…
Hands shoot up in the air, confetti flies, and noise makers whirl as the world waves goodbye to another year.  Everyone moves towards each other in one fluid motion, and they begin to hug and kiss, celebrating the end of one year, and the beginning of a new one.  As the celebration dies down a thought always seems to come creeping into everyone’s brains; “What do I want gain this year? And, who do I want to become?”  Mainly people condense those two questions down into three words; New Year’s Resolutions.  Resolutions vary from wanting to eat healthier to wanting to think more positively.  And sometimes it takes longer to decide what it is that you want to take out of the new year, while other times you have known what you want for the past two months.  Five days have already flashed by in this new year, and it took up until now to think of a resolution that I want to commit to.  Each year I make my resolutions very vague and I’m never able to follow them through.  They always seem to be forgotten after the first month, and by the end of the year I no longer remember what my resolution was in the first place.  This year, I plan to treat every night like New Year’s Eve, and make a new resolution for myself that I will carry out the next day.  It will force me to reflect on my day and help me decide what I want to take out of the next day.  Eventually, I hope that this resolution will help me evolve into an overall better person.  Although I did waste a couple days thinking of how I wanted my year to go, at least I finally found a resolution that will not wear off until next December 31st.  

1 comment: