Thursday, January 19, 2017

Hamilton An American Musical

Hamilton
By: Sophie Venus
As an American it's important to me to know our history and how our government was formed. Something that has triggered my interest in this subject is the Broadway play Hamilton.
If you ask anyone who knows me they will tell you that i'm obsessed. Hamilton is a Broadway play following the life of founding father Alexander Hamilton. The play was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda who also played the leading role as Hamilton. The first song was performed in 2009 at the White House Poetry Jam, everyone laughed when Lin-Manuel said he was writing music about Hamilton using rap. Little did they know 5 years later it would win 11 tony’s, the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, and the Grammy for the best musical theater album.
Although I have never seen the play, as the tickets are extremely expensive, I've listened to the music many times. I have never heard anything like it on Broadway because the music is mostly rap. It has helped me become more interested in history because it is facts surrounding the revolution. I suggest that everyone should at least listen to one song it might change your life.

Here is a link to the first song "Alexander Hamilton": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIl1OIGzuDg

2 comments:

  1. I think you're more than obsessed! I hope you get to see it one day! ~ Mrs. Kopp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a daughter who is also obsessed and i hope Sparta Highs School would arrange for a field trip to see the show !!

    ReplyDelete