Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Is the Flex Classroom preferred by Students? By Stephanie Downes

Recently, Mrs. Kopp integrated a "flex classroom" into her Honors English 10th grade classes. I interviewed Sophie Venus and surveyed students to see if this class environment is preferred.

Q- What are some factors that you like about the flex classroom so far?
A (Venus)- I like that we have class discussions on Mondays and Tuesdays and then we can put what we have learned to use throughout the week. I also like that I am able to work at my own pace and collaborate with my classmates to get my work done. Lastly, I like that we have the freedom to manage our assignments while still getting help and mentoring from Mrs. Kopp. 

Q-What do you not like about the flex classroom system?
A- Overall, I enjoy it. However, I understand that some students may find it overwhelming or stressful at times. In addition to this, working in an open classroom can be distracting for students. 

Q- How does your experience with the flex classroom compare to those of your past English classes?
A- It is an overall less stressful environment. I tend to work better in a class rather than at home with distractions, so I like that we have time in class to work on our assignments and manage our time better. 

Q- Lastly, if you were to change one thing about the flex classroom, what would it be?
A- I really like this system, so I would just want more furniture to make our working and free-reading days more comfortable and relaxed! 

I also surveyed the class, asking them if they liked the flex classroom. 21 students said yes, while only 3 said no. However, many of the students added that although they like the new classroom environment as a whole, it has its drawbacks. Students remarked that all of the assignments at one time can get a little overwhelming an stressful at times. Overall, the flex classroom proves to be a success so far, and hopefully as the year goes on we will all adapt to this new way of learning!
Image result for comfortable classroomPicture taken from www.communityschool.com

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to conduct an interview and survey! I hope that the flex classroom feels less overwhelming as the year goes on. I think we'll all continue to adjust to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very interesting. I liked being able to read my classmate's opinions.

    ReplyDelete